Could not contact Microsoft Content Management Server
Laura
2003-08-14 23:34:09 UTC
Hi. I installed the Content Management Evaluation
following the documentation. The first time I was able to
work with Site Manager but after I uninstalled and
installed it again, I get the error: Could not connect to
the Microsoft Content Management Server "servername" when
trying to run Site Manager from the programs list. The
first installation displayed a Server application error
when trying to run the Woodgrovenet but on this second
installation I haven't been able to get that far. What am
I missing? thanks for your help.
Stefan [MSFT]
2003-08-16 01:19:53 UTC
Hi Laura,

check out below:

------------

Question: "Could not connect to the Microsoft Content Management Server
localhost:80"
I get the following error message when I try to connect to my Microsoft®
Content Management Server (MCMS) webserver using Site Manager:

Could not connect to the Microsoft Content Management Server localhost:80.
Either the web service is not running, or there are network problems that
are keeping you from connecting to the server, or the server is not
accessible through MCMS Site Manager.

Answer

1.. Check if your MCMS entry is really configured to port 80. If not you
need to adjust the port number in the parameter string of your SiteManager
Shortcut.
2.. Check if there is a global.asa in the root of your Web site. This
global.asa contain errors or settings which interact with MCMS as MCMS does
not ship with it's own global.asa.
3.. Try to access http://localhost:80/NR/System/ClientUI/login.asp from
Microsoft Internet Explorer and see if you get an error from Microsoft
Internet Information Server (IIS). If so, put a testing (very simple one;
e.g. just say "hello world") regular ASP page in
\Server\IIS_NR\System\ClientUI\ and try to access it from Microsoft Internet
Explorer. If that testing ASP page gives the same error, work on the issue
as a regular IIS access problem until you get the testing ASP page works.
Then try to open Site Manager again.

Cheers,
Stefan.